Yesterday’s BFP Inspiration Moment was about going out on a limb; embracing the risk to reach the reward.
Stepping up to your first leadership role is risky, too. Maybe you don’t have a lot of experience, Or, you wonder if your current peers will accept you in a titled leader role. Perhaps you aren’t confident in the decisions you’ll face and the policies you’ll need to administer. The expectations are high for leaders; maybe you’re just not sure you can do it as well as your current assignments.
Maybe you won’t be perfect.
Guess what? You won’t be. You’re human. And, your team is not looking for perfection.
Here is what your team members want from you:
- Integrity in all you do and say.
- Commitment to the team, the individuals, the work.
- Compassion when someone is struggling at work or in life.
- Interest in each person as a fellow human being.
- Follow-up on your promises.
- Support when times are tough.
- Guidance when they are unsure.
- Coaching when their work or behavior isn’t as expected.
- Positivity even in stressful times.
- Encouragement at all times.
- Fairness in your decisions.
Are you willing to serve your followers by doing all those things?
Then go ahead, take the risk. The reward of leadership is definitely worth it.
The Tuesday Tidbit is the emerging leader’s weekly source for team building tips, leadership development content, creative ideas and general workplace inspiration. To discuss individual coaching or a group workshop at your office, contact me here and let’s chat!
Photo taken last month at Apple Hill Orchard, Ontario, Ohio.